The purpose of this blog is to satisfy ICOM 101 requirements. This blog will focus on the music industry, particularly the affect Big Industry has on small labels or unsigned artists.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

What makes up the big industry?

During the duration of the semester, I will use this blog as a tool to create a better understanding of some of the things that cause problems. The major topic that I will be covering is the affect that big industry, such as the major labels like Universal, Sony, Columbia, RCA and Warner Music Group; have on independent labels & even unsigned artists in the race to sign or be "the next big thing." Also, how does e-music help or hurt, things like iTunes, LimeWire, file sharing software, Amazon and others. 

In the time of this class, I will also follow a few of the industry leaders. After looking around, I have decided rather than to follow individual people of big industry, I will follow a number of independent and major label companies via twitter. On a weekly basis, I will post interesting reactions to articles from the field.

The companies I will follow are:
     Fearless Records
     OneSideDummy Records
     Atlantic Records
     Hopeless Records
     Epic Records
     RCA Music Group
     Jive Music
     Sony Music USA
     Universal Music Group
     Columbia Records
     Warner Music Group
    
As state earlier, this is a combination or major and independent labels.  You may be wondering what a music label actually does? By definition, "record labels are companies that manufacture and distribute recorded music and promote that music, or at least hire people to handle the promotion." Having said this it may be easier to understand that there are several labels, far more than I am following and almost a label for every genre of music.

I am excited to learn about the industry I hope to one day be a apart of.


No comments:

Post a Comment